Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Lion King is in Theatres... In 3D?

This past weekend The Lion King 3D was box office gold.

I have adored this classic film since it came out in 1994 when I was eight years old. It was a staple of my childhood and you bet I'm going to go see it with my family.

The original was released in 2D and was a massive success in theatres and in its various home entertainment releases. It was also huge in 2002 when it was released in IMAX theatres, proving that years after people first saw it, they were still interested in going to the theatre to watch it.


But why is The Lion King being rereleased in theatres (and soon in Blu-Ray and DVD) in 3D? I understand that the market for 3D is huge right now, but I still think The Lion King would fare very well in another 2D theatrical rerelease, especially with interest in the upcoming premiere Blu-Ray release. I'd prefer to see it in 2D. I don't care if they remaster it, I just want to see it in 2D, how I first saw it as a child and how I've always seen it since. It's gorgeous just the way it is.

Except for the stampede scene. While the original is amazing, I think that will be F--ing awesome in 3D.

There are a bunch of Disney 2D animated films I'd love to see in the theatre again, even really old ones like Bambi. That's more for the soundtrack that anything. Beautiful music. The choir would sound amazing in surround sound. I'd also love to see The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Pinocchio and  -- I could go on. But I don't want to see them in 3D!

What Disney 2D animated classics would you like to see in theatres again, either in the original 2D or 3D? Which ones do you think should not be rereleased in 3D?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee