Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Talk Ladies Go Natural: What Does it Mean to Wear Makeup?

The women of The Talk recently appeared on their show with no makeup, with their hair not done, wearing terrycloth robes. Their audience and guests did the same.

Here is a clip from the show. This one is my favourite because it features a discussion about the women's insecurities that surfaced in their preparation for the show and their plans to compensate. Would the women have ever become as conscious of these insecurities if they hadn't done this show? I don't know. What do you think?

I think this whole concept is awesome. It is interesting to see people without their masks and how they behave when they aren't wearing their masks. It also creates a dialogue for viewers, who I'm sure are mostly women.

What does it mean to wear makeup? Whose interests does it serve? How does wearing makeup change people? How does makeup impact society's perception of beauty?

I seldom wear make up, partly because I'm lazy, partly because I don't like how it makes my skin feel and partly because I think I look better without it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee