Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bjork Textures

Have you ever noticed that musicians' interests, inspirations and skills become evident through their non-music behaviour?

Check out this 1986 interview of Bjork in support of her band The Sugarcubes. The host/interviewer hands her a long plastic tube filled with popcorn and she presses it gently, looks at it intently periodically throughout the interview, whenever she speaks. Then she stops each time the interviewer speaks. The sensory stimulation of the popcorn bag seems to aid her social, creative and thought processes.


I've always had a sense of Bjork's appreciation of texture in her solo music. There are so many textures from crunchy to smooth, from hard to soft. Listening to Bjork is like petting a fluffy lap dog while a bag of corn pops inside it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always fascinated by the creative process, because it's always different for every person. When it comes to writing, I'm a people watcher. Put me in a crowd of people and I can tell you a story, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fascinated by it, also! You can learn so much about how people work, think and feel by observing them. I'm not at all surprised that you are a people watcher... Or a story teller! You are one of my favourite story tellers on the web.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee