Monday, January 20, 2014

TVO Mysteries of the Mind Week

Did you know that your brain is "plastic," and therefore we can alter, to a degree, how it works?
Would you like to learn about how brain surgeons deal with the complexities of the brain?
Do you know how each of part of the brain functions?

TVO's Mysteries of the Mind Week starts today and it will feature answers to these questions and many more.
I am absolutely fascinated with the brain. I was born with Dandy Walker syndrome, a malformation of the cerebellum and the fluid spaces around it and hydrocephalus, excess fluid on the brain. I had brain surgery at 10 days old to implant a ventriculoperitoneal shunt, a tube that starts in my brain and goes to my belly and drains excess cerebrospinal fluid. I have my issues and life is challenging, but I've done well. I owe a lot to my brain and so do you!

I grew up knowing that my conditions affected my mobility and cognition and learned many ways to adapt and improve, including therapies. I'm excited to learn more about why these things work. The brain is an incredibly complex organ, made even more complex by the influence of our activities and environment.
Join me and tune into Mysteries of the Mind week from January 20-25 to learn more about your brain and, most importantly, how to make the most of it.

I will be sharing my insight about the programs using TVO's official #TVOmindweek hashtag on Twitter, though maybe not live during programming. My handle is @cartooninperson. I hope to see you there! Say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee