Thursday, February 18, 2010

I just want to get this day over with

I am officially nocturnal.

My average school day goes from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Those are just my classes. My day is longer with preparation for school and the commute there and back. It really tires me out and by the time I get home I usually feel worse, so I go have a nap and wake up in the evening. Then I stay up all night to listen to music, write for pleasure, write assignments, etc. I've been a night owl for years, but this is the first period in my life that I feel I have no choice but to be nocturnal. I don't see how I could come home and avoid napping. Without recharging first, I wouldn't have the energy or ambition to do my homework.

I cried hard last night after I woke up still feeling sick. And I had developed a crick in my neck to top it off!

Today I have an appointment with one of my instructors who also co-ordinates my program. He wants to meet with each of us to discuss our assignments and get feedback on how we like the program. I didn't do very well on my assignment. There were loads of awkward sentence structures and grammar and punctuation errors. I also didn't do well on another assignment I submitted that week. I was feeling nasty that week. I'm still upset about this confirmation that I don't work well when I'm sick. I feel like I've let myself down. I must tell my instructor about my health situation. I have six instructors and I've only so far told one about what I'm going through. I just want to buck up and get on with my life, but now I see that's not always realistic.

I think I'm nervous about my meeting with my instructor because I feel like I'm about to admit weakness -- defeat, even. I don't want him to think I'm less capable of doing the work than I should be, but I also don't want him to think I'm being careless orthat I'm not smart enough. I just don't see the point. I'm also nervous to tell him about some problems I have with the way my classes are run. There are two classes a week for 6 of my 7 courses. This seems excessive. There's a lot of repetitive or seemingly pointless busy work; some instructors don't provide examples of documents they want us to create... There's other stuff too, but I'd better not get myself all riled up before school...

Anyway, I refuse to ask for extensions because it will make my workload accumulate. Also, I'd have to go to my family doctor to get a note. He's ignorant about post viral syndrome and Dandy Walker syndrome. There doesn't seem to be much point in telling my instructors I'm sick.

It's going to be another long day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee

Blogger - Ashley Ashbee